- Honey is the basic flavor ingredient in these classic light fluffy dough Italian cookies. Americans might call these a "Sweet Roll".
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:14 Single Cookies
- 3 cups (700 ml) plus 4 tbsp (60 ml) white bread flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) yeast
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2-1/2 tbsp (35 ml) honey
- Pour the flour onto your work surface and make a hole in the center with your fist.
- Dilute the yeast with 2/3 cup (150 ml) warm water and pour into the hole.
- Knead together as you would a bread dough.
- Leave the dough in a warm place to rise for 1 hour, then add the eggs, oil, and honey and knead again.
- Shape the dough into about 14 individual "figure 8's" and arrange them at least 2-3 inches apart on an oiled baking sheet.
- Leave them in a warm place to rise for up to 4 hours (the longer, the fluffier and lighter the cookie).
- Bake them in a 375 degree (200 C.) oven for about 15 minutes.
- Cool and store or serve.
- These are excellent with a cup of hot expresso or a flavored Latte! I like mine warmed with cinnamon-honey butter!