Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- This is THE Macaroni and Cheese Recipe! It was the mainstay favorite at the Horn & Hardart's Automat in NYC!
- Laura and Jay's Mom
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) all purpose flour
- 3 cups (700 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Dash of freshly ground white pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). elbow macaroni, fully cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.) and grease a 2 quarts (1900 ml) baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepanover medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour, then add the milk, salt, and white and cayenne peppers.
- Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and is smooth, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and cook, stirring until it melts; remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the macaroni and the sauce.
- Stir in the tomatoes and sugar.
- Transfer the macaroni mixture to a greased baking dish.
- Bake until the surface is browned, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- This freezes well, make great left-overs and is considered by some to be even better reheated the next day!
This recipe is common in NYC and loved by people from all over the world!