Basic Pie Crust for Dummies!
- This is the quintessential pie crust recipe for those of us who ruin them all the time! This will put a smile of accomplishment on your face!!
Serves/Makes:3 Nine Inch Pie Crusts
- 3 cups (700 ml) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) cold shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) apple cider or white grain vinegar
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) water
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the flour, salt, and shortening until it resembles coarse meal or bunches of baby peas; set aside in a refrigerator or in a cool place (You don't want this is get warm or mushy).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, vinegar and water.
- Dump the egg/vinegar mixture into the flour/shortening mixture.
- Form a big ball with your hands, don't overwork the dough, it doesn't "knead" it.. Hehehe!
- On a lightly floured board, roll out the dough for the pies.
- Extra dough will stay fine in the refrigerator for a few days if you are planning to make pies on different days.
If you are only making one sweet pie and maybe a Chicken Pot Pie to freeze, then you can use the extra tag-ends and dough to make strips of cinnamon sugar pie crust cookies. They are the best reason to make pie crusts!!