- Healthy and tasty blending of broccoli, cheddar cheese, bacon, sunflower seeds, red onion and bowtie pasta in a mayonnaise base sauce.
- 2-1/2 lbs (1.1 kg) or 2 large bunches of broccoli, cleaned, peeled and cut into small florets
- 1 cup (225 ml) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). bacon, fried, drained, cooled and crumbled (use more if you love bacon)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) salted sunflower seeds
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). package of bowtie pasta, cooked al dente, drained and tossed with a drizzle of olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellman's)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, blend together the mayonnaise, sugar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add to the small mixing bowl with the sauce, the red onion, sunflower seeds, and shredded cheddar cheese; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, put in the broccoli and bowtie pasta and toss gently to mix.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the broccoli and bowties and blend all the ingredients.
- Just before serving, add the crumbled bacon (If you add it too soon, it will get soft and loose it's flavor and the crunchy texture).
- As a hint, you can add to this reicpe with great success! Try adding grated carrots, cauliflower florets, chopped kohlrabi, shredded turnips or any of your favorite raw vegetables.