- H. Kamper
- 3 cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) water
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raw white rice
- Bring peas to boil in saucepan.
- Fry bacon until crisp, drain, and remove from skillet.
- In drippings, saute onion, pepper and celery until tender.
- Add bacon and onions to peas; heat through.
- Add vegetables and cook an additional 10 minutes, covered.
- Add rice and remaining ingredients, cook for 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy a taste of Cajun cooking.
- We have this often when the weather is cool (But good any time).