Basic Vegetable Spice Blend I
- Blend of herbs to use for dieting or to add robust flavoring to recipes and your family's meals.
Serves/Makes:1/2 cup approx.
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). onion powder
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). dried chives
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). dried tarragon
- 1-1/2 tsps. dry mustard
- 1-1/2 tsps. dried dill weed
- 1-1/2 tsps. dried bell pepper flakes
- Toss herbs into a grinder or mini-blender and whirl for about 60 seconds.
- Spoon spice blend immediately into a clean spice jar with a tight fitting lid, (a plastic shaker insert is a great asset), label and use as usual.
- Store in a dark dry area of your kitchen.
- Use this blend in stir-fries with a bit of lemon juice or on any cooked vegetables, such as carrots, green beans, or snow peas. Also, delicious to use in dips or spreads.
Very good to mix with lemon juice, white wine and extra virgin olive oil as a classic American flare to tossed salads or a marinade for meats and vegetables on the on the grill.
You can also use this blend as a rub on meats for roasting or in soups, chowders, or sauces.