Basic All Purpose Spice Blend
- Blend of herbs to use instead of salt for dieting or to add robust flavoring to recipes and your family's meals.
Serves/Makes:1/2 cup approx.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). celery seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). onion flakes
- 2-1/2 tsps. cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 tsps. garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsps. powdered orange rind
- 1-1/2 tsps. arrowroot
- 1-1/2 tsps. sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). white pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). dill weed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). powdered lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in blender or coffee grinder; blend 10 seconds or until mixture is a fine powder.
- Store in a screw-top jar with a shaker lid insert.
- *Use in salt shaker instead of salt.
- Store in a dark dry area of your kitchen.
- Rubs of dry herbs and spices are an easy, low-calorie way to add flavor to your foods. You can prepare them in advance and store them for up to four months.