Chi Chi's Sweet Corn Cake
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) (1 stick butter), softened
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) masa harina
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cornmeal
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Blend butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add the masa harina and water to the butter and beat until well combined.
- Put defrosted corn into a blender or food processor and with short pulses, coarsely chop the corn on low speed. You want to leave several whole pieces of corn.
- Stir the chopped corn into the butter and masa harina mixture.
- Add cornmeal to mixture and combine.
- In another medium bowl, mix together the sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder.
- When the ingredients are well blended, pour the mixture into the other bowl and stir everything together BY HAND.
- Pour corn batter into an ungreased 8 inch x 8 inch baking pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Place this pan into a 13 inch x 9 inch pan filled 1/3 of the way up with hot water.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the corn cake is cooked through.
- When the corn cake is done, remove the small pan from the larger pan and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- To serve, scoop out each portion with an ice cream scoop or rounded spoon.