Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad
- Recipe from www.topsecretrecipes.com
Serves/Makes:1 dinner size salad
- Oriental Dressing:
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) corn flake crumbs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast half
- 2 to 4 cups (950 ml) vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 cups (700 ml) chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup (225 ml) red cabbage
- 1 cup (225 ml) Napa cabbage
- 1/2 carrot, julienned or shredded
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chow mein noodles
- Preheat oil in deep fryer or deep pan over medium heat--You want the temperature of the oil to be around 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Blend together all ingredients for dressing in a small bowl with an electric mixer.
- Put dressing in refrigerator to chill while you prepare the salad.
- In a small, shallow bowl beat egg, add milk, and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour with corn flake crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Cut chicken breast into 4 or 5 long strips.
- Dip each strip of chicken first into egg mixture then into the flour mixture, coating each piece completely.
- Fry each chicken finger for 5 minutes or until coating has darkened to brown.
- Prepare salad by tossing the chopped romaine with the chopped red cabbage, Napa cabbage, and carrots.
- Sprinkle sliced green onion on top of the lettuce.
- Sprinkle almonds over the salad, then the chow mein noodles.
- Cut the chicken into small bite-size chunks.
- Place the chicken onto the salad forming a pile in the middle.
- Serve with salad dressing on the side.