- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 8 oz (224 grm). cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 3 tsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 lb (.5 kg). cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Heat oil in a skillet and add tomato sauce, water, chili powder and salt.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until hot.
- Keep sauce hot, but not boiling and dip each tortilla into sauce for several seconds to soften.
- Remove from sauce and spread part of cheese and onion evenly down the center (reserve some for the topping).
- Roll up tortilla and place seam-side down in a shallow dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Top all the tortilla rolls with remaining sauce, cheese and onion.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake until cheese is bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- Cooking Tips:
Substitute your favorite cheese such as Monterey Jack or Swiss for part of the cheddar.
Add a bit of shredded chicken or canned beans to make this an entr e dish.