Sissy's Microwave Divinity
- Microwave Divinity
- Karen "Sissy" Wommack
- 2 cups (475 ml) granulate sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- Combine sugar, syrup and water in a 4 cups (950 ml) clear glass measuring cup.
- Cook in the microwave on high for 3 minutes, then stir thoroughly.
- Cook again on high for 6 to 8 minutes (I stop at 6 minutes and put in a candy thermometer; it must read 250 degrees (125 C.) before it is done. If it is not to 250 degrees (125 C.) then cook it some more. I check it every one minute after this until the thermometer reads 250 degrees). DO NOT LEAVE THE THERMOMETER IN THE MICROWAVE WHILE COOKING, STOP THE MICROWAVE AND CHECK IT THEN REMOVE THE THERMOMETER BEFORE RETURNING IT TO THE MICROWAVE).
- While the syrup is cooking, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. NOTE: THE EGG WHITES DO BETTER IF THEY ARE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE.
- When the syrup is ready, pour it into the egg whites beating constantly.
- Continue beating, Add the vanilla flavoring and continue to beat for approximately 6 to 8 minutes or until the mixture is stiff and starts to lose its shine.
- Fold in nuts and drop mixture, by tsp, onto waxed paper.
- When cool, store in an air tight container. NOTE: DO NOT STORE ALONG WITH ANY OTHER FLAVOR OF CANDY, THEY WILL PICK UP THE SCENT FROM THE OTHER CANDIES. ALSO, IF THE MIXTURE IS NOT COOLING FAST ENOUGH, WHILE BEATING, I SOMETIME WRAP A ICE WATER DAMP RAG AROUND THE BOWL WHILE I AM BEATING, I MAY HAVE TO WET AND KEEP IT COOL SEVERAL TIMES, BUT IT COOLS IT OFF FASTER THAN JUST WAITING, AND IF YOUR MIXING BOWL IS METAL, THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE.
- This is almost a fool proof way of making divinity!!
It has never failed for me. It is great!! I am asked for this recipe every time I make it. Enjoy!! Sissy