- small patti-like meatballs coated with fine cracker crumbs and fried
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). 20% fat hamburger
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 box saltine crackers
- 1 lb (.5 kg). margarine (not butter)
- Chop onion and saute in 1 stick margarine until very soft.
- Drain and reserve margarine.
- Mix raw pork, hamburger, cooked onion, 1 quarter box finely crushed cracker crumbs, and 2 eggs.
- Form patties into 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) to 2 tbsp (30 ml) sized meatballs.
- Crush another quarter box of the saltines into very fine crumbs, coat each meatball in the crumbs and gently flatten very slightly.
- Fry in reserved margarine keeping margarine level in pan to at least 1/4 inch.
- Drain and enjoy.
- We eat these cold right out of the fridge, dunked in ketchup, or as a side dish.
They freeze beautifully. Make sure the hamburger has a high fat content and buy the
most inexpensive margarine you can find.