Angel Hair Pasta and Tomato Sauce
- Simpe and elegant Italian Cooking for novices or seasoned chefs! Delicious, nutritious and inexpensive for family meals!
- S. Chokel
- 1 lb (.5 kg). Capellini or thin spaghetti
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) oregano
- fresh parsley, chopped, to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 6 pitted black olives, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups (700 ml) canned peeled plum tomatoes
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). cut or canned straw mushrooms (if canned, dry them with a towel)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) parmesan cheese
- fresh basil leaves to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat along with the garlic and red pepper; remove garlic when brown.
- Cool pan and add tomatoes crushing them slightly as you stir them in.
- Add the oregano and olives and bring sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- Rinse off mushrooms, leave them whole and dry.
- In a small skillet, saute mushrooms in a little olive oil and garlic; saut for 5 minutes; set aside (Add mushrooms to sauce right before you cover the pasta with the sauce).
- Cook and drain pasta and put in a serving platter.
- Cover with sauce that has the mushrooms added.
- Gently mix.
- Garnish with plenty of parsley.
- Hint: If you choose to use fresh tomatoes, make sure they are nice fully ripened fleshly ones that are grown for cooking purposes. Take out the seeds and chop or blend and chop them up for an interesting texture.