Tortellini with Proscuitto and Peas
- Rich and Authentic Italian meal! A favorite supper from Tuscan farmhouse to an elegant meal before a Roman Symphony Date!
- S. Chokel
- 1 lb (.5 kg). tortellini
- 1-1/2 sticks butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) heavy cream
- 5 thin slices proscuitto, in julienne strips
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cooked peas
- 1 cup (225 ml) parmesan cheese(fresh grated)
- Cook tortellini in 4 quarts (3775 ml) of boiling and salted water for 7 minutes (until tender) and drain.
- In a heavy skillet, melt butter over low heat.
- Add tortellini and stir to coat with butter.
- Add heavy cream and proscuitto.
- Cook mixture until cream thickens slightly.
- Blend in peas, parmesan cheese and pepper.
- Stir tortellini, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Serve pasta immediately with a dash of additional parmesan cheese.
- I love using fresh garden peas for this recipe. It is a great side dish to a roasted or grilled whole chicken.
If you cannot find proscuitto at your area markets, try using a very good quality ham or a quality bacon. The proscuitto adds a taste that is worthwhile to hunt out a source. Great meal!