Fresh Asparagus and Tomato Sauce for Pasta
- A great way to enjoy the fresh spring Asparagus on the market in April through June.. or longer if available! It is YUMMIE!
- S. Chokel
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) to 5 tbsp (70 ml) olive oil
- 1 chopped onion or scallions (green onions) in 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups (475 ml) fresh tomatoes
- hot red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley, torn or snipped
- Saute the onion in olive oil with garlic and asparagus tips; cover pan; saute slowly, do not brown.
- Add fresh tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Boil pasta and pour sauce over pasta and mix well.
- Add more parsley and hot pepper flakes.
- Sauces and pasta shapes are important in Italian cuisine. The pasta size and shape are made to highlight and go well with the sauce, or visa-versa. Serve with "Perciatelli Pasta" which is like a giant longer macaroni. It is shaped with a medium diameter (about 1/2 inch) and smooth surface cut long and pierced dry pasta.