- Very Good! Very richly flavored and such a simple recipe!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:1 Two-Quart Casserole Dish
- 6 salsify roots
- 3 cups (700 ml) slightly crushed soda crackers
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) whole milk
- Scrape salisfy roots and slice them into 1/2 inch slices and parboil them.
- Into a buttered ovenproof 2 quarts (1900 ml) casserole dish, put a layer of crushed soda crackers and season them about 1/3 the amount of seasonings and butter.
- Cover with half of the cooked salsify.
- Add another 1/3 the amount of a layer of soda crackers, butter, and seasonings, then the rest of the salsify.
- Top off with the last third of crackers, butter, and seasondings.
- Slowly, cover the whole filled casserole dish with all the milk.
- Bake in a covered casserole for 45 minutes at 375 degrees (200 C.), until the last 15 minutes, and that is when you should uncover it to crisp up the top and brown nicely.
- Optional: I use more salt and pepper and added some paprika for color.
Parsnips, Turnips, Kohlrabi, or Salsify can be interchanged or combined in this recipe with ease and success.
Soda Crackers work best, but soft stale bread (fresh bread about 2 days from baking is best) crumbs add a nice texture and flavor. Use them if you substitue for a great result.