- AUTHENTIC and Classic Italian Dessert blending rich creamy mascarpone, Brandied Espresso, Whipped Cream and Light Delicate Lady Finger Cookies!
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 4 oz (112 grm). strong espresso (or substitute 2 tsp (10 ml) instant coffee in 1/2 cup (125 ml) water)
- 2 oz (56 grm). Italian brandy
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups (475 ml) Mascarpone cheese (may substitute ricotta or cream cheese)
- 30 small Savoiardi (Lady Fingers) or 15 broken in half
- 3 oz (84 grm). bittersweet chocolate, broken into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 oz (84 grm). milk chocolate, shaved or grated
- 6 large wine goblets
- Mix coffee and brandy together and set aside.
- Over a double boiler, beat egg yolks and sugar until mixture lightens in color and forms ribbons (i.e. halfway to zabaglione). Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold mascarpone into egg yolk mixture one quarter at a time.
- Fold mascarpone mixture into egg whites and set aside.
- Lay savoiardi along edges of wine goblets all the way to the bottom, lining the entire glass (while keeping 6 savoiardi for later use).
- Using a pastry brush, and paint the cookies with the espresso/brandy mixture.
- Fill each goblet one-third full with mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with broken chocolate.
- Lay one savoiardi across center and paint with coffee mixture.
- Fill each goblet with remaining mascarpone mixture, topping each with shaved chocolate.
- Lay one savoiardi in each goblet and paint with espresso mixture.
- This is a great recipe if you have a little more time and want to have beautiful and elegant invidual desserts for special ocassion dinners or moments to remember!
As a special touch, I like to brush the topped lady finger with the espresso, and then drizzle a touch of melted chocolate in a pretty little zig-zag shape on it.
Mario Batali is one of the stars of the Food TV Network. The Tiramisu can be served at room temperature, but most enjoy it chilled.