Serves/Makes:1 8 inch x 8 inch pan
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) cornmeal
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil (or melted lard)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Put about a tbsp bacon drippings into an 8 inch x 8 inch pan, and put the pan in the oven to get hot.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, beating by hand, JUST until smooth (Batter will be lumpy).
- Pour batter into prepared, heated pan or skillet.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert onto cutting board, cut and serve.