- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) plain cornmeal
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). carton sour cream
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) corn oil
- 1 cup (225 ml) cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (225 ml) cheddar cheese, grated
- Pour corn oil in large iron skillet and place in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven to heat.
- Meanwhile combine all remaining ingredients except cheddar cheese.
- When skillet and oil are hot, pour oil into batter and stir quickly to blend.
- Immediately pour half of batter back into hot skillet.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over batter.
- Carefully pour remaining batter over cheese and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 45 minutes.