Sweet and Sour Party Meatballs
- Old Betty Crocker Cookbook
Serves/Makes:6 dozen approx.
- l lb. ground beef
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground pork
- 2 cups (475 ml) soft bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). margarine
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). cornstarch
- 1 cup (225 ml) vinegar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 3 drops hot sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 20 oz (560 grm). can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- Combine first 7 ingredients, mixing well; shape into 1-inch meatballs.
- Brown in butter over medium heat; drain.
- Place meatballs in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Combine cornstarch, vinegar and sugar in a medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until clear and thickened.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; pour over meatballs.
- Bake at 300 degrees (150 C.) for 40 minutes.
- I have used this recipe alot for rehearsal suppers and family gatherings. It is requested any time my family needs to carry a dish. Prepare it and put it on a buffet in a crockpot on low or a chafing dish.