- 1 lb (.5 kg). plain flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 oz (42 grm). butter, creamed
- For the filling:
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz (224 grm). sugar
- fl. 4 oz (112 grm). rum
- fl. 3 oz (84 grm). orange flower water
- thinly pared rind of 1 lemon
- To finish:
- 1 oz (28 grm). butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- caster sugar
- Macerate the sliced apples with the filling ingredients overnight.
- Strain the apples, reserving the juice.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, put butter and eggs into a well in the centre.
- Working with the fingertips gradually add fl. 7 oz (196 grm). of the liquid from the apples.
- Work into a smooth and elastic paste with your hand and leave to rest for 2 hours.
- Roll out as thinly as possible, then transfer to a floured cloth on a large table.
- Working from the centre, with the palms of your hands, carefully stretch the paste to the thinness of a cigarette paper.
- Rest it and yourself for 1 hour.
- Brush lightly with melted butter and dust with sugar, cover with well drained apples and roll up.
- Mix the remaining juice into the beaten egg and brush over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190EC/390E/Gas 5 for 50-55 minutes.
- Prep Time: 12 hours 0 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Recipe Courtesy of Jennifer Paterson and Clarissa Dickson Wright