Serves/Makes:24 to 30 servings
- 2 cups (475 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In a large bowl combine sugar, flour and 1/4 cup (60 ml) cocoa powder.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter with water and oil and bring to a boil.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add eggs, 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk, baking soda and 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract; blend thoroughly.
- Pour batter into an 18-by-11-inch rectangular baking pan.
- Bake until tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- This is from the Bon Appetit archives online.