- Crusty cornbread from Tennessee
- William Bohannon
- 2 cups (475 ml) white cornmeal
- 2 cups (475 ml) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon drippings
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon drippings or corn oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). white corn meal
- Place oven on broil highest heat.
- Mix all batter ingredients at once for 2 minutes by hand.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon drippings to large cast iron skillet.
- Place pan in oven and heat until smoking.
- Remove smoking pan from oven and add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of dry cornmeal.
- Stir pan to brown cornmeal.
- Add batter evenly around in a circle.
- Place pan back in oven immediately.
- Change oven setting to bake at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Bake 20-25 min until center has risen and tooth pick comes out clean.
- Crusty on the outside and tender like cake on the inside then you know you have done it right.
Mine turned out right the second time I tried it because I lowered my oven to 325 degrees F. and increased the time a little.
Every oven is a little bit different.