Serves/Makes:2 dozen 2-inch biscuits
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lard or solid vegetable shortening
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) ice-cold milk
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) iced water
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade, mix flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in lard with a few quick pulses until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With motor running, add mixed milk and iced water.
- Process until mixture forms a ball, then continue processing 2 full minutes longer.
- Roll dough onto lightly floured board in 1/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Fold over once to form two layers.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Using plain 2-inch cutter, cut shapes beaten, flattened dough.
- Place biscuits on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Prick each biscuit three times with triple-tined fork to form a 9-hole square.
- Bake until ivory-colored, 20 to 25 minutes.