Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 3 cups (700 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). vanilla extract
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- powdered (confectioner's) sugar for dusting
- Combine the milk, water, tbsp of vegetable oil, and salt in a large saucepan and bring almost to a boil over high heat.
- Add the flour a little at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon over low heat.
- When it has formed a smooth paste, remove it from the heat and add the baking powder and vanilla.
- Continue stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Heat the oil to a temperature of about 325 degrees (175 C.), or until the surface shimmers.
- Place the dough in a pastry bag with a wide, star tip.
- Typically, churros are about 1/2 inch in diameter, with ridges running their length.
- Pipe the dough into the hot oil, forming straight fritters 6 to 8 inches in length.
- Fry until golden brown and remove to paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately, dusted with powdered sugar.
- Source: http://www.gingerswolfcam.com/r/bnb2.htm