- Mrs. Wiggs
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 2 large eggs
- sugar for coating
- Heat oil in deep fryer or sauce pan to 375 degrees (200 C.). It should be 2 to 3" deep.
- In another saucepan, combine water,salt sugar, and butter.
- Bring mix to rolling boil.
- Add flour all at once.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and thick and pulls away from pan.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each, until dough is smooth and shiny.
- Spoon dough into large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Squeeze 6 to 7" ribbon of dough into hot oil, slice off.
- Cook 2 or 3 ribbons of dough at one time, for about 5 minutes or until brown.
- Remove churros with a slotted spoon.
- Drain on paper towels.
- While warm sprinkle with granulated or confectioner's sugar or cinnamon-sugar mix.
- Serve while hot.