Italian Sausage and White Beans
- 1 lb (.5 kg). spicy Italian sausage
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups (700 ml) drained, cooked white beans, such as cannellini, rinsed
- 1 cup (225 ml) dry white wine
- 2 tsp (10 ml). dried thyme
- arugula, optional
- Cut the sausages in 1-inch lengths.
- Place them in a large skillet with a lid, add 1/4 cup (60 ml) water, and cook covered over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, raise the heat to medium, and cook until the sausages are browned outside and no longer pink in the center, 8-10 minutes.
- Drain fat and keep the sausages warm.
- Saute the onion and pepper in oil until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, wine and thyme, raise the heat to high, and cook until most of the wine is absorbed, 3-5 minutes.
- Add sausage and warm thoroughly.
- Spread arugula over the serving platter and top with bean mixture.