Crockpot Hot and Spicy Sloppy Joes
- Recipe by Jim Weller
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Spicy V8 juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). jalapeno peppers; chopped
- 3 tsp (15 ml). chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). Louisiana hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). oregano, dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 hamburger buns
- shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is translucent; drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, in a 4 quarts (3775 ml) crockpot or slow cooker combine V8 juice, tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, jalapeno peppers, chili powder, hot sauce, bay leaves and oregano.
- Stir in meat mixture.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8 hours or high heat setting for 4 hours.
- Toast buns; spoon meat mixture over buns and sprinkle with cheese.