Butter Crunch Coffee Cake
- Delicate and rich breakfast cake with a decadent and crunchy butter crunch topping with coconut and nuts! Yummmm!
- S. Chokel
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Old Fashioned oats
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). melted butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped nut meats
- In a medium deep mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Then, add the 2 whole eggs one at a time and blend.
- To the wet mixture, add the flour, baking powder, salt, rolled oats and milk. Mix, but do not over mix, or the cake will be tough and dry.
- Pour into 8 inch greased cake pan and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 25 minutes (until springy or a toothpick comes out clean), and then follow directions for topping and complete the baking.
- Topping Directions:
- In a small deep mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar, butter, coconut, and nut meats.
- Carefully spread, dropping by spoonfuls around top of cake.
- Put the cake back in oven for 5 minutes under the broiler until the top is wonderfully golden brown.
- Great served for special breakfasts or as a foundation under scalloped apples and vanilla ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon!
Easily doubled or tripled recipe. Very totable for potlucks and picnics.
As a hint, I have swirled some cinnamon into the wet cake batter just prior to entering the oven for a zippy fun flavor.