- Savory, succulent, aromatic, and simply YUMMIE blend of Italian Veggies and optional meats for a low calorie and HIGHLY nutritious supper for familes!
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 eggplant, chunked in 1 inch x 1 inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, sliced in at least 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 or more cloves garlic, chopped and lightly browned
- 3 or more large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 16 oz (448 grm). cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) basil
- fresh ground black pepper and Sea Salt to taste
- Optional, but advised, crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fettecine or your favorite pasta, cooked al dente, hot and tossed with olive oil
- garnish of grated fresh parmesan cheese.
- Add all ingredients (reserving the pasta for just prior to serving) to the crock pot and stir.
- On the "low" setting on the crock pot, simmer for 8 hours.
- Serve over hot pasta for a wonderful meal! Very simple and very nutritious!
Add grilled chicken breasts cut into strips or chunks of Hot Italian Sausage just prior to serving.
If the tomatoes are especially "watery" you can add tomato paste to your liking or add some sun dried tomatoes for a fun flavor too!
I add 1/2 Cup of a hearty red wine and 1/8 cup of extra virgin olive oil to my crockpot for a fuller blended flavor.
Substitue Oregano or combine your favorite herbs for flavor.
IF you have leftovers, here is a GREAT way to use them! Heat the oven to 450-500 degrees, brush extra virgin olive oil on 6 inch whole pita pocket bread. Then, put a few tablespoon of the leftover cold eggplant tomato mixture on top and then sprinkle with your favorite pizza cheeses and bake for about 10-15 minutes. The crust is crispy and chewy and the topping is hot and flavorfully scrumptious!