- Rich Savory Cherries in Classic Chutney.. try this if you are not familar with the deliciousness chutney adds to roasted meats!
Serves/Makes:3 cups approx.
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) dried sweet cherries
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped onion
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) golden raisins
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) minced candied ginger
- 3 tsp (15 ml) mustard seed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) each ground allspice, ground cloves and ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour. (Add a tsp at a time of extra water if more moisture is needed.. should be fairly thick, but somewhat "watery".
- Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 30 minutes more).
- Remove from heat, let cool, and chill until needed.
- Dried fruits have varying degrees of moisture, so be careful not to add liquid as this should be thick like a conserve, and you need to make sure there is enough moisture not to burn! A heavy bottomed saucepan is a necessary option.
You can spoon this spicy-sweet cherry chutney to a meal of grilled chicken or pork, or any roasted meats too! It is especially nice with venison roasts and roast turkey breasts!