Slow-Sauteed Pattypan Squash w/ Onion and Parsley
Serves/Makes:4 as a side dish
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). small pattypan squash, (each the size of a golf
- ball), halved
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced fresh parsley leaves
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and saute over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the squash and stir to coat well with the oil and onion.
- Sprinkle generously with salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender and golden brown in spots, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve immediately.
- Small pattypan squash, each the size of a golf ball, can be
halved and sauteed very slowly to make them especially sweet-tasting. Because of their size and high skin-to-flesh
ratio, they hold their shape better than other squash and are my first choice for this preparation. However, small
zucchini cut into 3/4-inch-thick rounds could be handled the