Summer Squash and Chervil Soup
- Light, low-calorie, satisfying to the palate & pleasing on a hot summer day.
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) diced onion
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh chervil OR
- 2 tsp (10 ml). dried chervil (Dried chervil just isn't as flavorful as fresh).
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced fresh basil OR
- 1 tsp (5 ml). dried basil
- 6 cups (1425 ml) grated summer squash
- 1 cup (225 ml) finely diced carrots
- 4 cups (950 ml) rich chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter, and saute the onion, chervil and basil until the onion is limp, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
- Serve hot.
- This soup can be prepared and cooked in 30 minutes.