- Very Crisp Pickles
- 1 cup (225 ml) salt
- 5 cups (1175 ml) water
- 6 cups (1425 ml) vinegar
- 6 sprigs fresh dill OR
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). dill seed, divided
- 1-1/2 cloves garlic, divided
- 3 red hot peppers, divided (optional)
- Bring salt and water to a boil to dissolve salt; let cool.
- Add vinegar.
- In each of 3 quarts (2850 ml) jars place clean cucumbers, fresh dill, garlic and pepper.
- Pour prepared liquid to 1/2 inch of jar top, covering all cucumbers.
- Wipe jar top clean and seal, using new jar tops.
- SEAL TIGHTLY: No water bath is necessary.
- Set jars in sunshine for 8 days.
- After this time, bring inside and store in a dark cool place.
- They are ready to eat after eight days, but are better after a longer period.
- I found this in The Texas Experience Cookbook from The Richardson Woman's Club.