Chinese Chicken with Walnuts
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 6 chicken breast halves (boneless, skinless)
- 2-1/2 tbsp (35 ml) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) water
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 3 tsp (15 ml) peanut oil
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dry sherry
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) crushed red pepper
- 4 green onions, diagonally sliced into 1-inch lengths
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) walnut halves
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces and set aside.
- Mix the soy sauce and water, then blend into the cornstarch.
- Stir in the sherry, sugar, ginger, red pepper, and salt.
- Preheat a wok or large skillet over high heat; add 2 tsp (10 ml) of peanut oil.
- Stir-fry the green peppers and onions for 2 minutes and remove.
- Add the walnuts and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown; remove.
- Add the rest of the oil and stir-fry half of the chicken for 2 minutes.
- Return all the chicken to the wok and stir in the soy mixture.
- Cook and stir until bubbly.
- Stir in the vegetables and walnuts, cover and cook for 1 minute.