Fresh Mozzarella and Tomato Salad with Basil
- fresh tomato
- fresh mozzarella cheese (this is the cheese that comes in a soft ball, not the processed cheese you buy. Often it is wrapped in plastic wrap or in containers which may or may not have a brine)
- fresh basil leaves
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- Slice tomatoes into about 1/4 inch slices.
- Slice mozzarella cheese into about 1/2 inch slices.
- Place a slice of tomato on a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover with chopped basil leaves.
- Mix enough balsamic vinegar with olive oil to make a sauce.
- Serve sauce separate in a dish.
- Spoon sauce over tomato/cheese slices when serving.
- You can be generous with the salt and pepper seasoning in this recipe. Fresh mozzarella cheese does not have much of a flavor on its own and needs seasoning.
I usually serve this on a platter and garnish with whole basil leaves. I serve the sauce separate so if you have any tomato/cheese slices left over, you can just cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for the next day.
Mix the balsamic vinegar and olive oil in equal parts, then adjust from there to your taste.
Makes a great summer salad on a hot day.