Serves/Makes:6 dozen cookies
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) all-purpose flour
- milk, as needed
- Anise seed
- Beat eggs and sugar about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.
- Mix in flour.
- If dough is dry, stir 3 tbsp (45 ml) milk, 1 tbsp (15 ml) at a time, into mixture.
- Cover; chill at least 2 hours.
- Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured board.
- Press well-floured springerle form over dough to emboss designs.
- Cut out cookies and place on cookie sheet liberally sprinkled with anise seed; let dry at least 10 hours.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Place cookies 1/2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light brown.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet.