Bacon and Egg Breakfast Roll
- 6 uncut Kaiser rolls
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup (225 ml) sliced fresh mushrooms (about 4 oz (112 grm). per cup)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped green pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) skim or low-fat milk
- 6 thin slices lean cooked ham
- 6 thin slices reduced-fat Swiss or Muenster cheese
- Slice tops off rolls about 3/4 inch from top.
- With a fork, scrape out the insides of bottom, leaving about 1/2-inch wall all around. Save crumbs for another use.
- Set rolls aside.
- In 10-inch omelet pan or skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain well; crumble.
- Pour off and discard fat.
- Add mushrooms, onions and pepper to pan.
- Cook until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in drained bacon.
- In medium bowl, beat together eggs and milk until blended.
- Pour into pan over vegetables.
- As mixture begins to set, gently draw an inverted pancake turner completely across bottom and sides of pan, forming large soft curds.
- Continue until eggs are thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly.
- Spoon egg mixture into hollows of reserved rolls.
- Top each roll with 1 slice each of ham and cheese.
- Broil about 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Cover with reserved roll tops.
- Source: American Egg Board