- 3 cups (700 ml) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm water
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add water slowly, but steadily while beating with a mixer.
- Divide dough into 10 equal portions.
- Coat hands with shortening and roll into balls.
- Use a tortilla press or roll into a thin circle between 2 pieces of wax paper.
- Cook tortillas over medium heat in a skillet 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned.
- Makes 10 8-inch tortillas.