- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chopped onions
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz (784 grm). diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz (420 grm). cans tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 3/4 tbsp (10 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml). oregano
- 2 tsp (10 ml). basil
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- cooked spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in oil until transparent.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, sugar, salt, oregano and basil.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 1 hour.
- Brown ground beef and drain excess grease.
- Add beef to spaghetti sauce and cook 30 minutes more.
- Serve with spaghetti and parmesan cheese.
- It may sound strange to add sugar to spaghetti sauce, but trust me, it's the secret to a great spaghetti sauce. The sugar cuts the acid of the tomatoes and bitter flavor of the garlic in the sauce. If using fresh tomatoes instead of canned increase salt to 1 T. and decrease sugar to 3/4 T. This sauce is also good without meat. Enjoy!