Beef Cordon Bleu Casserole
- A crowd pleaser; seasoned beef, potatoes and cheese.
- C. Reid
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground round beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) milk
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). butter, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white vinegar
- 1 cup (225 ml) yellow cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet saute beef, onion, garlic and vinegar (this is the secret) until browned; drain.
- Meanwhile boil potatoes in salted water just covering them until done, about ten minutes; drain and add milk and half of the butter.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Whip or mash until smooth.
- Grease a casserole dish and spread meat/onion mixture.
- Pour potatoes on top and dab with remaining butter.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for fifteen minutes.
- The vinegar actually gives the ground beef a sweet flavor.