Honey Pecan Fried Chicken
- Incredible chicken!
- Linda Weissert (from a 1986 Bon Appetit)
- 6 lbs (2.7 kg). chicken (I use boneless, skinless breasts halves)
- 4 cups (950 ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (225 ml) self-rising flour
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (225 ml) honey
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) coarsely chopped pecans
- oil, for frying
- Wash chicken, pat dry.
- Pour buttermilk into a large ziplock bag.
- Add chicken.
- Refrigerate 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain chicken.
- Combine flour, salt, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Dredge chicken in mixture, shaking off excess.
- Let chicken stand 20 minutes at room temperature on a wire rack.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in honey and bring to boil.
- Add pecans and simmer glaze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 - 3/4" of oil in an electric skillet to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Add chicken (in batches - do not crowd) and fry until crisp, golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange on a large platter and pour the glaze over the chicken.
- Serve immediately.
- This is unbelievably good and one of my husband's favorite dishes. Surprisingly, it is fantastic cold the next day.