Beer n Kraut Meatball Hero
- A very different Meatball Sandwich that will become YOUR favorite meal with football games and tailgate parties.
- Bronco Fan Peek
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). can (1 1/2 cups) beer
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cooking oil
- 1 cup (225 ml) thinly sliced onion
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) snipped parsley
- 1 tsp (5 ml) beef soup base or bouillon.
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) dried thyme, crushed
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can or bag sauerkraut
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- 6 french style buns or rolls
- In a bowl combine egg and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the beer; stir in bread crumbs, 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt and a dash of pepper.
- Add ground beef, mix well.
- Shape into 1 1/4 inch meatballs.
- In a heavy skillet, brown the meatballs in hot oil; drain off the fat.
- Stir in the onion, parsley, beef soup base (or bouillon), thyme, bay leaf, and the remaining beer.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from the skillet; cover and keep warm.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Drain the sauerkraut; rinse if milder flavor is desired.
- Stir kraut into onion mixture; bring to boiling.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tbsp (30 ml) cold water; stir into sauerkraut mixture.
- Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Split and toast rolls.
- Place sauerkraut mixture on roll bottoms; top with warm meatballs and roll tops.
- Great NCAA or NFL Football weekend munching food!