Sweet Spicy Bacon Baked Beans
- Bronco Fan Peek
Serves/Makes:15 or more servings
- 3 16 oz (448 grm). cans baked beans in sauce (like Bushes or Vandecamps)
- 2 15 oz (420 grm). cans red kidney or pinto beans, drained
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). bacon, crisp cooked, drained and crumbled
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). bacon, lightly fried in strips
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped onion
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped red or green peppers
- 1 cup (225 ml) bottled smoke flavored barbeque sauce
- 1/2 dark molasses
- 2 cups (475 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red pepper (chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) garlic powder
- In a large dutch oven or oven roaster combine the beans, crumbled bacon, onion, peppers, barbeque sauce, molasses, brown sugar, chili powder, and garlic powder.
- Place the 1 lb (.5 kg). of bacon strips on top of the beans in any shape you like (They will sink in eventually during baking).
- In a 350 degree (175 C.) oven, place in the middle of the oven and bake for 3-4 hours.
- Great NCAA or NFL Football weekend munching food!
These baked beans get wild raves everytime I make them. For summer picnics and potlucks to snowy football get-togethers. If you like Baked Bean sandwiches, this makes awesome ones.
If the beans become too dry while baking, add a little bit of water or beer to the top of them. I have never had this happen. I use Bushes Orignial Beans and Masterpiece Mesquite Barbeque sauce.