Howie Long's Humbling Apple Pie
- A great Apple Pie for Football Fans or for "normal" people too!
- Bronco Fan Peek
Serves/Makes:1 large pie
- Apple Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 7/8 cup (200 ml) shortening (yes, 5/6th!)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 whole egg
- Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) corn starch
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 6 cups (1425 ml) sliced pippin or granny smith apples
- Apple Pie Crust Directions:
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in shortening; combine water, vinegar and the egg and beat well with a fork.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- Mix until pastry holds together.
- Divide dough into 2 balls.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Roll each crust out until crust is 2 inches larger than the pie plate.
- (Dough can be made ahead of time. Wrap dough tightly and refrigerate up to 2 weeks, or freeze up to 2 months. Thaw frozen dough in the refrigerator for 2 hours. This make two crusts)
- Apple Pie Filling Directions:
- Mix the sugars and cornstarch.
- Toss with apples, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Place in pastry lined pie plate.
- Dot with butter and cover with top crust.
- Seal and flute edge, cut slits in the top of dough.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- 1/2 Bake hour with foil around edges, then remove the last 15 minutes.
- Bake in total for 45-50 minutes, until the pie is bubbling in the center.
- Great NCAA or NFL Football weekend munching food!
Did you know that not only is Howie Long a great sports announcer/caster on Fox Sports; he was a 13 year career defensive end with the Raiders that included EIGHT Pro Bowl selections. (He is handsome too!)
Recipe taken from:
DialAmerica Proud Sponsors of All Star Feast Cookbook. Compiled by Wendy Diamond.
Copyright 1997 Global Liaisons, Incorporated.
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 97-093426