Sauerkraut and Polish Kielbasa
- Authentic sauerkraut, potatoes, kielbasa dish that is so good, you can't stop eating it!
- S. Chokel
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola or olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) red wine
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). sauerkraut
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). potatoes
- 1 lb (.5 kg). kielbasa, in chunks
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). ham pieces
- 4 whole cloves
- Saute chopped onion and garlic in oil.
- Rinse sauerkraut and add to onions.
- Saute for at least 15 minutes.
- Add bay leaf and cloves.
- Peel potatoes, wash and cut each into 4 pieces.
- Cook in hot water until almost done.
- Add to the sauerkraut.
- Add kielbasa and ham and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove potatoes, kielbasa and ham to a plate, cover to keep warm.
- To the sauerkraut, add the red wine, mix and cook 2 more minutes.
- This is a recipe given to me by a woman who was from Chicago and said this recipe was famous and was a neighborhood favorite when she grew up in the 30's and 40's.