Baked Macaroni and cheese
- With 3 cheeses and 2 different types of noodles
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 4 oz (112 grm). orrechia noodles (ear shaped)
- 4 oz (112 grm). elbow noodles
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 4 oz (112 grm). container regular cottage cheese
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk (skim or regular)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). all purpose flour
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- cooking spray
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- While noodles are cooking:
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet pan.
- Add flour and milk to butter, and stir to a boil; reduce heat.
- When milk and flour thicken, set aside.
- Drain noodles.
- Place noodles back into pan and stir in cottage cheese.
- When well mixed and somewhat melted, set aside.
- Place one third of the noodles into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Use one third of the shredded cheese to cover the noodles.
- Add more noodles to the pan, layering with remainding cheese.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Top with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 20 to 30 minutes, or until browned on top.
- The secret is the cottage cheese, which keeps the casserole very moist and gives a great added flavor. The 2 different types of noodles give a great texture. Everyone calls my mac and cheese the best around! You can substitute whole wheat pasta, or use spiral noodles in addition to the elbows.