- Cake baked in a canning jar
- jacenem (email@example.com)
Serves/Makes:8 pint jars
- 1 18.5 ounce package yellow cake mix (you can use any cake recipe or box cake mix) mixed according to package or recipe directions
- 8 straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars with lids
- Prepare the cake according to package instructions, or use any cake recipe.
- In pint size, straight-sided wide-mouth jars, put 1 cup (225 ml) of batter in each greased jar--Make sure to keep the rims of the jars clean.
- Put in preheated oven at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Place jars on a cookie sheet to keep from tipping over while baking.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- While they are baking, have your jar lids boiling in a pan of water.
- When the cake is done, take one jar out at a time and add the hot lid and screw on your jar ring and let set and cool.
- It will seal as it cools.
- Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal.
- If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid.
- If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
- After it cools it will pull away from the jar and when you are ready to eat, open and pop out the cake and enjoy.
- Unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 weeks.
- Sealed jars may be stored with other canned food or placed in a freezer.
- The cake is safe to eat as long as the jar remains vacuum-sealed and free from mold.