- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) sifted cake flour
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). orange zest, finely grated
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together egg yolks, orange juice, oil, orange zest and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir yolk mixture into flour mixture until smooth.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- 1/4 Fold of whites into the yolk mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cake upside down before serving.