- 10 lbs (4.5 kg). green tomatoes (6 quarts (5675 ml).)
- 6 cups (1425 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) vinegar (can use malt vinegar)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cloves, ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) allspice, ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 bottle Certo (optional)
- Peel tomatoes.
- Chop into large pieces.
- Cover with vinegar.
- Let stand 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain well.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cook slowly (can use a crock pot) until very thick (approximately 4 hours if using a large pot or longer in a crock pot).
- If not thickening sufficiently, add Certo and continue stirring and cooking an additional 10 minutes or so.
- Note: A little goes a long way because it is quite spicy.